Monday 1 December 2014

Ransom Note

Writing Club- Ransom Note Exercise
March 6, 2012

It was scrawled across the wall and onto the floor, looking more like german or jibberish than anything I was familiar with.  Written in crayon or candle wax, in dwindling letters.  It was apparent that the author feared that space did not permit the required contents of entire message.  The note meant nothing to me as this space was not mine, it was more the thought of the scrubbing I would have to do.  Sometimes I wondered why I took this cleaning job.
As I reached for my bucket of water and the pinesol, I imagined the little hands reaching for the cardinal red crayon.  Chubby little fingers filled driven by childish rage. 
The contents of the long letter described in graphic detail how much Zander despised Cathy for the disappearance and suspected kidnapping of one teddy bear.  The horrid list of actions to be taken should “said” item not be returned made my stomach turn.  This job would not be easy.
1.    I will rub your toothbrush along the rim of the toilet when you are not home. 
2.    Raggidy Ann will be decapitated.

      As I read number 3 -I am going to flush dino down the toilet- I thought this is outside the scope of my contract.  Mr. Bauer is going to require a plumber if this item was fulfilled.  Did dino receive a swirly?  One look in the bowl told me that most likely Mr. Gibbs had been returned.  The clear water hadn’t surged above its normal levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment