Tuesday 14 June 2016

Squidy Sea Monster-One Tall Tale Freshly Served: Writing Exercise


Mar 4, 2014

Writing Prompt:  “Being inexperienced and having just made….” 
15 minutes


“Why would they ever have let Sandy at the pole first?  Clark fully deserved to fill that seat.  He’d have known what bait to use.  Being inexperienced and having just made the catch of the year, of the decade really, Sandy had no idea how to reel it in.  All I heard was big splash.  I was at the cooler getting a cold one when it all happened, Officer, huh, Delaware. 
            When I turned around, ole Sandman was being pulled through the water like rag doll.  The captain was no help.  The old salt’s only thought when he saw the giant squid was to put the throttle down.  All that served was to tick off the beast, as it got a jet of water in its nicotine yellow eyes.   Squinting and glaring something horrid, it wrapped its titanic tentacles round the yacht pulling it in 'twain.  The severed ship went down fast, she did.  Paul and Martin managed cut loose the diving dingy and scramble into it paddling away like mad men.  I hollered after them, but to no avail.  I just held fast to the beer cooler cause I know styrofoam floats.  That’s how you found me bobbing there, sir, by the way.  I guess the beast doesn’t like his meat well marinated. 
Last I saw of Sandy he was pulled into the brink.  The Captain, well, he’d be a guest of Davy Jones.  He went down with his ship saluting." 



No comments:

Post a Comment